In 1988, the Queensland University of Technology Act was passed for the grant of university status to Queensland Institute of Technology (QIT). As a result, QIT was granted university status and was operational as Queensland University of Technology (QUT) from January 1989 onwards. Later, the Brisbane College of Advanced Education had joined with QUT in 1990.
The Gardens Point campus was once solely occupied by the 19th Century building, the former Government House of Queensland. In 1909, during the relocation of the Governor's residence, Old Government House and the surrounding five hectares were set aside for both a University and a Technical College. The first university on the site was the University of Queensland which was moved to St Lucia in 1945, where it remains today. Over the years, QUT has grown and changed. From the establishment of the Brisbane School of Arts in 1849, we have been at the forefront of innovation and progress in tertiary education. Although the name QUT has only been used since 1989, the institutions that came before us made us the university that we are today.