Dr. Pradeepa Samarasinghe
Senior Lecturer (Higher Grade)
Faculty of Computing | Information Technology
- Dr. (Mrs.) Pradeepa Samarasinghe is a Senior Lecturer in Information Technology, Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology, Malabe, Sri Lanka. She is currently serving as the Head, Department of Information Technology, Faculty of Computing.
- Dr. Samarasinghe joined SLIIT in 2005 as a Lecturer and held numerous positions including Head, Department of Information Technology, Postgraduate Course Coordinator, Chairperson of the Curriculum and Academic Quality Committee, Second year Coordinator and Student Advisor.
- Before joining SLIIT, she worked at Virtusa (Pvt.) Limited as a Software Engineer/Technical Lead for more than seven years. There she got the opportunity to work with multi-national software companies and use the cutting edge software tools and technologies.
- Dr. Samarasinghe has her research interest in Computer Vision, Image Processing, Socially Assistive Robotics, Deep Learning and their applications.
- 2012 to date – Senior Lecturer (Higher Grade), Department of Information Technology, Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology, Sri Lanka.
- 2007 to 2012 – Senior Lecturer, Department of Information Technology, Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology, Sri Lanka.
- 2005 to 2007 – Lecturer, Department of Information Technology, Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology, Sri Lanka.
- 2002 to 2005 – Technical Lead, Virtusa (Pvt.) Ltd., Sri Lanka
- 2000 to 2002 – Senior Software Engineer, Virtusa (Pvt.) Ltd., Sri Lanka
- 1997 to 2000 – Software Engineer, Virtusa (Pvt.) Ltd., Sri Lanka
- BSc Eng. (Hons) in Computer Science and Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 1997
- MBA in Information Technology, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 2007.
- Ph.D, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia, 2012
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- Computer Science Award for the best undergraduate project from Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science (1998).
- Best Student Paper Award in the track of Intelligent Robots and Man-machine Co-existence in the International Conference on Information and Automation for Sustainability (ICIAFS) 2008.
- Third prize in poster exhibition of Connecting Research to Business at ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science, Australia, 2009.
- Australian National University scholarship (2008 –2011).
- ICT Student scholarship offered by CSIRO Australia (2009 – 2011).
- Teaching Excellence Award - SLIIT Awards 2017
Research Interests and Memberships
- Computer Vision
- Image Processing
- Socially Assistive Robotics
- Deep Learning
- Member – Computer Society of Sri Lanka (CSSL).
- Associate Member – Institute of Engineers, Sri Lanka (IESL).
- Member – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- Member – Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
- CSAAT - Culturally Sensitive Autism Assessment Tool
Eye gaze analysis
Gait and emotion recognition and analysis
- Pradeepa D Samarasinghe On non-blind image restoration in International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems, year 2009, Colombo, pp.1-7, IEEE,
- Pradeepa D Samarasinghe Morphology based automatic disease analysis through evaluation of red blood cells in International Conference on Modelling and Simulation (ISMS), year 2014, pp.318-323, IEEE,
- Pradeepa D Samarasinghe Automatic anemia identification through morphological image processing in International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems, year 2018, pp.1-5, IEEE,
- Pradeepa D Samarasinghe " Analysis and performance of CMA blind deconvolution for image restoration " International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing , vol.29, Issue 9, 2015, pp.1135-1151,
Journal Publications Under Review
- Pradeepa D Samarasinghe " A PredictiveModel for Paediatric AutismDetection in Low and Middle-Income Countries " Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, Under Review