Mr. Suranga Jayasena
Head, Department of Quantity Surveying
Faculty of Engineering | Quantity Surveying
An academic with 20 years’ experience, Suranga has primarily engaged in teaching, management and scholarly work in the fields of Quantity Surveying and Construction Management. Teaching in the most demanded public university in the country for built environment studies, the University of Moratuwa, he has a proven track record in effective contribution to produce world class graduates through teaching, and programme development. He currently serves his sabbatical leave from University of Moratuwa at SLIIT leading our Quantity Surveying degree programme.
Suranga graduated from University of Moratuwa in 2000 with BSc in Quantity Surveying honours degree and joined the same programme as an academic immediately after. He earned his master’s from National University of Singapore in 2006. He has taught in two internationally accredited BSc honours programmes in Quantity Surveying and in Facilities Management at University of Moratuwa; and three MSc taught programmes in Project Management, in Construction Law and Dispute Resolution, and in Occupation Health and Safety Management at the same University. He has been a regular visiting lecturer for the Quantity Surveying Programme at SLIIT from its inception, primarily on subject contents in Building Information Modelling.
- MSc (Building) Research Degree, National University of Singapore.
- BSc (Hons.), Second Class Upper Division, Quantity Surveying, University of Moratuwa.
- Diploma in Commercial Arbitration, Institute for the Development of Commercial Law and Practice, Sri Lanka.
HONOURS AND AWARDS
University of Moratuwa award of excellence in recognition of the outstanding research performances for 2008 and 2009.
University Scholarship by National University of Singapore to pursue MSc studies at School of Design and Environment in 2003.
HPS Caldera Award by University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka for being the graduand who obtained the highest average at BSc (Quantity Surveying) Final Year Examination in 1999.
Research Interests and Memberships
Suranga’s research interest is in integration of innovative technologies, methods and concepts in order to solve construction management problems; and he conducts his PhD study aiming to establish theories for effective adoption of Building Information Modelling (BIM) in Sri Lankan construction industry.
- Rogers, J., Chong, H.-Y., Preece, C., Lim, C. C., & Jayasena, H. S. " BIM Development and Trends in Developing Countries: Case Studies." Bentham Science, 2015,
- Rathnasiri, P, Jayasena HS " "Green building information modelling technology adoption for existing buildings in Sri Lanka. Facilities management perspective" " Intelligent Buildings International, 2019, pp.1-22, https://doi.org/10.1080/17508975.2019.1632782,
- Giuliani, L., Revez, A., Sparf, J., Jayasena, S., & Havbro Faber, M. " "Social and technological aspects of disaster resilience" " International Journal of Strategic Property Management, vol.20, Issue 3, 2016, pp.277-290,
- Tan, W., & Suranga, H. " "Winner's Curse in the Sri Lankan Construction Industry" " The International Journal of Construction Management, vol.8, Issue 1, 2008, pp.29-35,
- Zainudeen, N., Senaratna, S., Jayasena, S., & Rameezdeen, R. " "Horizontal housing property market" " Built-Environment Sri Lanka, vol.7, Issue 1, 2006, pp.16-22,
- Jayasena, H. S., Thurairajah, N., Perera, B. A. K. S. & Siriwardena, M. Promotion of Diffusion of Innovations: A Study of BIM Adoption in Construction Industries in 35th Annual ARCOM Conference, year 2019, Leeds, UK, pp.283-292, Association of Researchers in Construction Management, 2-4 September 2019,
- Punnyasoma, J.A.G., Jayasena, H.S. and Tennakoon, T.M.M.P. Use of BIM solutions to facilitate value management in 8th World Construction Symposium, year 2019, Colombo, Sri Lanka, pp.598-607, CIOB, 8-10 November,
- Rathnasinghe, A. P., Wijewickrama, M. K. C. S., Kulatunga, U., & Jayasena, H. S. Integration of BIM and Construction Supply Chain Through Supply Chain Management; An Information Flow Model in International Conference on Sustainable Built Environment: ICSBE 2018, year 2019, pp.604-614,