Ms. Jayathri Kalinga
Faculty of Humanities & Sciences | English Language Teaching Unit
Jayathri Kalinga currently works as a lecturer attached to the English Language Teaching Unit. She has more than six years of experience in teaching English to tertiary level students and she is skilled in teaching English for General Purposes and English for Academic Purposes. She conducts several modules for the undergraduates of SLIIT, workshops for the SELL programme of Curtin University and Certificate in Advanced English programme. In addition, she serves as the course web coordinator for the English modules offered by the Faculty of Computing.
- Currently working as a Lecturer in English at the Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology (SLIIT). (October 2018 – to date)
- Worked as an Assistant lecturer in English at the Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology (SLIIT). (May 2017 – September 2018)
- Worked as a Lecturer cum Programme Coordinator at Saegis Campus, Nugegoda (2013 – 2017).
- Worked as a Lecturer at Saegis Campus, Nugegoda (2013 – 2016).
- Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language - Postgraduate Institute of English (PGIE), Open University of Sri Lanka (2017)
- Bachelor of Arts (General) first class honours - University of Kelaniya (2009)
Certificate on "Learning to Learn Online" offered by Athabasca University and Contact North | Contact Nord, Canada, September 2020.
- Certificate in Teaching Methodology in Higher Education conducted by the Internal Quality Assurance Unit of SLIIT (2019)
- ‘Professional Qualification in Human Resource Management’ (PQHRM) - Institute of Personnel management, Sri Lanka (2013)
- Japanese Language Proficiency Test (Level 2) - Japan Foundation, Japan (2010)
HONOURS AND AWARDS
Won the Second Place among the participants of the Third Staff Development Programme which offered the Certificate in Teaching Methodology in Higher Education conducted by the Internal Quality Assurance Unit of SLIIT (2019)
- Participated in a study tour program – Japan-East Asia Network of Exchange for Students and Youths: Training for University Students Studying Japanese- conducted by the Japan Foundation Japanese Language Institute, Kansai, Japan. (2009)
- Participated in South Asian High School Invitation Programme in 2003 conducted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan.
Research Interests and Memberships
- Technology in ELT
- Curriculum and Materials Design
- Applied Linguistics
- Use of Mixed Methods Research in ELT research
- jayathri.k Jayathri Kalinga " The effectiveness of using L2 grammar videos with young adults in a private institution in Sri Lanka. Presentation, at 9th International SLELTA Conference, Sri Lanka, 2017
- jayathri.k Jayathri Kalinga " Learning grammar through second language grammar videos: a diversified experience. Presentation, at 1st PGIE Research Symposium organized by the Post Graduate Institute of English, Open University of Sri Lanka, 2017
- jayathri.k Jayathri Kalinga " Doing ESL research: Diverse perspectives from five contexts. Presentation, at Participated as a panelist at the International Research Symposium on English Language Studies organized by the Department of English, University of Colombo, 2017