Prof. Sriyani Peiris
Head | School of Natural Sciences
Faculty of Humanities & Sciences | School of Natural Sciences
Renowned academic and researcher in Plant Biotechnology. After graduating from faculty of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, I completed the M.Sc Degree in Pennsylvania State University, USA, and Ph.D. in University of London, UK. I started my career at Faculty of Agriculture University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka as a Lecturer in Department of Crop Science and promoted to senior Lecturer, Associate Professor, Professor and Senior Professor during my 30 years of service. In this period I supervised 69 postgraduate students, published 31 papers in peer reviewed journals, two books, two monographs and received nine national awards including presidential award for my contributions to plant tissue culture, molecular biology, biotechnology and floriculture. I was an adjunct Professor at Clemson University, USA, Murdock University, Australia and University of Guelph, Canada. I served as a Senior Professor and Head/ Biotechnology at the Horizon Campus, Malabe Sri Lanka, and as a Visiting Professor in Biotechnology at Business Management School, Colombo 06, Sri Lanka.
Ph.D (Horticulture), University of London, UK , 1992
M.Sc. (Agronomy), The Pennsylvania State University, USA, 1986
B.Sc. (Agriculture), University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 1978
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- SUSRED AWARDS 2012- Support Scheme for Supervision of Research Degrees. This award is presented to Prof. Sriyani E. Peiris in recognition of the supervision of MPhil degree titled “ Micropropagation and change in plant architecture of Hemidesmus indicus (l)R. Br. (Iramusu) and Osbeckia octandra (l.) Dc Prodr. (HeenBbovitiya) through biotechnological approaches” carried out by Ms. D.S.K. Nagahatenna. 19th September, 2012
- Final year students research presentations: Department of Crop Science. First place was awarded for the work carried out on” Cost effective applications on micropropagation of banana” by R.G.U.A.Gunasekara, S.E.Peiris and B.L.Peiris. 2011.
- Annul Congress, Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture: D.P. Karunanada and S.E. Peiris Evaluation of public acceptability and longevity of forced bloomed poinsettia ( Euphobia pulcherima Willd.) pots in indoor decorations Session: VI: Floriculture and Plant Systematics, for the best presentation of the Session. 2011
- Annul Congress, Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture :D. P. Karunananda and S.E. Peris, Effects of Pinching, Cycocel and B-Nine Treatments on Branching Habit of Pot Poinsettia (Euphobia pulcherrima Willd) - Session :Agronomy and Crop Management, 2009
- Annul Congress, Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture: D.S.K. Nagahatenna and S.E. Peiris, In vitro propagation of Hemidesmus indicus (L.) R. Br. (Iramusu) through nodal culture - Session: Horticulture. For Overall Performance, 2007
- Presidential Awards for Research by His Excellency the President of Sri Lanka for scientific research evaluated by peers and published in the year 2005 in international Scientific Journals. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology. 80 (20) 167-170 Samarakoon, U.C. and Peiris.S.E. (2005) Control of Circadian rhythm regulated nyctinastic movement in water lily ( Nymphea stellata) flowers.
- Annul Congress, Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture: Award for the Best paper presentation in Session ‘Crop Science” titled “Biodiversity of Some Fruit Species in Huruluwewa Water Shed Area”, 1998.
Paper adjudged first in the theme AGRICULTURE AND ANIMAL SCIENCE. Presentation by Senior Researchers, Annual Research Sessions, University of Peradeniya, titled: Low Cost Micropropagation for Its Domestication. 1998.
- The Sri Lanka Council for Agricultural Research Policy (CARP) Merit Award for outstanding contributions in Agricultural Research for investigations carried out during the five years after Postgraduate Studies for the research on Micropropagation of the Sri Lankan Anthurium Cultivar "Crinkled Red'. 1996.
Research Interests and Memberships
Low cost micropropagation
Plant tissue culture for crop improvement
Molecular Biology for Crop Improvement.
Member of National Committees
Main Committee Member 2017 to date, Committee on Equating and or Validating of Certificates of Diplomas and Degree (CVECD), National Apprentice & Industrial Training Authority, Sri Lanka
Committee Member for Developing National Competency Standards 2017-2018 For Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory Assistant, National Apprentice & Industrial Training Authority, Sri Lanka
Working Committee on Technology 2013 to 2017, National Science Foundation, 47/5, Maitland Place, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka
Advisory Committee on Floriculture, Export Development Board, 42, Nawam Mawatha, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka, 2013 to 2014,
Research committee on floriculture, Council for Agricultural Research Policy,114/9, Wijerama Mawatha, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka, 2006 to date
Working Committee on Biotechnology, National Science Foundation,47/5, Maitland Place, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka, 1999 - 2000,
Specialists Group on Plant Breeders,Tissue Culturists and Biotechnologists, Sri Lanka, 1999 - 2000
Council for Agricultural Research Policy, 114/9, Wijerama Mawatha, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka
Intermediate Technology Group: Biotechnology, Lionel Edirisinghe Mawatha, Kilulapone, Colombo 05, Sri Lanka, 1999 -2000
Member of National Associations
Sri Lanka association for Advancement of Science Life member
Alumni Association of University of Peradeniya, Life member
Alumni Association of Faculty of Agriculture Life member
Hill country Horticultural Association, Kandy Life member
- Application of low cost CSUP micropropagation technique to produce high quality planting material of floriculture crops, fruit crops and medicinal plants.
- Genetic manipulations on ornamental plants to produce novel varieties through mutagenesis and CRISPR- Cas technology