Prof. Lakshman Ratnayake
Chancellor | Chairman | Professor
Officers of the University | SLIIT
Professor Lakshman L. Ratnayake who is the current Chairman/Chancellor of Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology (SLIIT) is a Senior Professor of Civil Engineering as well in the Institute. He brings more than 45 years’ experience to the higher education industry and has been a pioneer in the education sector reforms.
He is an Emeritus Professor at University of Moratuwa. He was a Professor and Senior Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Moratuwa. He was also the Head of the Department of Civil Engineering and the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering at University of Moratuwa. He had been an academic staff member of the University of Moratuwa for over 40 years.
Professor Ratnayake had been working as an Adjunct Professor of Civil Engineering at University of Calgary, Canada and served as an Adjunct Associate Professor at the Utah State University, USA.
He was appointed the Vice Chairman of the University Grants Commission (UGC) by HE the President in 2001 and served UGC for 5 years. He headed two World Bank funded Projects on Higher Education for 10 years while being attached to the Ministry of Higher Education.
Professor Lakshman L. Ratnayake was the President of the Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka (IESL) in 2002/2003 and the President of the Chartered Institute of Transport, Sri Lanka in 2004/2005. Currently, he is the Chairman of the Board of Management at the Post Graduate Institute of Medicine (PGIM) of the University of Colombo.
- B.Sc.Eng. (Hons.) - University of Moratuwa, 1973
- M.Sc. (B'ham) - University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 1977
- CEng, FIE (Sri Lanka), Intl. P.Eng.(Sri Lanka) - 1987
- FCILT(London) - 2018
- D.Sc. (Honoris Causa) – University of Sabaragamuwa, 2019
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- Lions Club International for the outstanding contribution he has made for education – March 2016
Research Interests and Memberships
- Transport and Traffic Engineering, Higher Education
- Chartered Transportant, Member of Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport, London, 1985
- Chartered Engineer, Fellow of the Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka, 1993
- Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, Sri Lanka, 2005
- International Professional Engineer, Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka, 2006
- Higher Education
- L.L.Ratnayake " Application of Optimal Station Spacing Model to a Planned West LRT Line " Journal Tribune Des Transports, vol.Vol. 3- 3, 1986,
- L.L.Ratnayake " "Estimating Origin - Destination Matrices from Link Volume Counts: A Simple Intercity Auto Travel Demand Model for Sri Lanka" " Transportation Planning and Technology , vol.12, Issue 3-4, 1988, pp.263-271,
- L.L.Ratnayake " "Intercity Auto Travel Estimation Using Entropy Maximization" " Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering Canada, vol.16, Issue 2, 1989, pp.200-201,
- L.L.Ratnayake " Pedestrian Characteristics in Colombo, Sri Lanka " Proceedings of the 5th World Conference on Transport Research, 1989,
- L.L.Ratnayake " Curriculum for Post- graduate Course in Transportation for Developing Countrie " Proceedings of the Annual Conference, Transport Research Board Record 1305, 1991,
- L.L.Ratnayake, Morrall, John F, Seneviratne. P N " "Comparison of Central Business District Pedestrian Characteristics in Canada and Sri Lanka" " Proceedings of the Annual Conference, Transport Research Board Record, 1991, pp.57-61,
- L.L.Ratnayake " Transportation Planning and Management in Small Towns in a Developing Country: Case Study for Sri Lanka " Proceedings of the Annual Conference, TRB Proceedings of the Annual Conference Board Record 1372, 1992,
- L.L.Ratnayake " Traffic Safety in Sri Lanka " 8th Conference of the Road Association of Asia & Australasia, 1994,
- L.L.Ratnayake " Air Travel Demand Forecasting at the Salt Lake City International Airpor " IASTED International Conference on Modelling and Simulation, 1995,
- L.L.Ratnayake " Prioritizing the Road Safety Programme " Indian Journal of Transport Management, vol.27, 2003,